Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 18, 2013

THE FLEETING NATURE OF OPPORTUNITY: By Wendell Ingram


THE FLEETING NATURE OF OPPORTUNITY

Life is filled with object lessons that help us understand the fleeting nature of opportunity. One such object lesson presented itself to me during deer season a few years ago. I reached the place I wanted to hunt and got set down before it was light enough to see. I could hear deer rustling in the leaves in the timber only a few yards away and as it got lighter I could see glimpses of deer in the woods but was unable to see well enough to pick a good target.

I was sitting in a lawn chair (I like to be comfortable) and had set up to watch a meadow at the edge of the timber. Suddenly I heard a deer jump the fence not 30 yards away but almost directly behind me. I slowly turned to look, and though it was
gloomy, I was fairly certain it was a doe. A few seconds later another deer jumped the fence, and though it was still too gloomy to see antlers, I was reasonably sure by its build that it was a buck.
 The problem was, I had to get turned around in my chair to get a shot. I tried to turn slowly and quietly, but sure enough, he heard me. As the deer turned and jumped the fence I could see its huge antlers and I had to watch as that nice buck trotted off through the brush and out of sight. As quickly as the opportunity had presented itself—it was gone. I’m sure most hunters can tell stories of opportunities they have had to "get the big one" but because they weren’t prepared, in a flash the opportunity was lost.

As parents, we need to understand that the opportunities with our children come and go just as quickly. The opportunities to teach, to train, to discipline and to set proper examples present themselves daily. If we are not prepared or if we do not take time to take advantage of these opportunities, they quickly disappear. It is so easy to get caught up in the daily routine of providing and caring for the physical needs of our children to the neglect of their emotional and spiritual needs.

When our children are young it seems that we have an eternity, with infinite opportunities, to teach and train them in the way they should go. Many times it is not until children reach their teen years that parents realize just how fleeting these opportunities have been. Many parents find themselves watching helplessly as their children leave their teen years and enter adulthood, emotionally and spiritually unprepared, because they, as parents, have neglected the opportunities to train and discipline, and now those opportunities are lost.

Parents, I want to remind you of the awesome responsibility you have to train your children in the ways of the Lord and encourage you to not forget the eternal consequences of neglecting this responsibility. I also want to remind you of the fleeting nature of your opportunities.

Wendell Ingram

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.    Ephesians 5:15-16
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment