Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Old Year and The New Year

 
 
The old year of 2013 is gone...it makes you wonder what the new year holds. Here is my view of some of the years gone by...and I must add that they went by mighty fast!

When our children were small and so sweet and precious, I thought that no time in life could be as good as this.
Then they started growing up and their activities multiplied and we were on the road a lot trying to take in all their activities…and I thought that no time in life would ever be as good as this!

Well they were almost grown up and we were so proud of them. Their values echoed our values and it was then that, finally, I began to know that there would be other good times.

When they grew up and moved a few hundred miles away, I would stand at the window to watch for them when we were expecting them. I could see headlights top the hill about a mile west of us and I would stand at the window to see if the car would turn south at the next hill. Sometimes it did…sometimes it kept going east…but when the car came under the street lights a couple of blocks from our house, I could tell if it was their car and I would turn on the porch light for them and be ready to hug them. I would stand and watch for hours. It was about a 7 hour drive for them and I would start watching at eleven P.M., just in case they got to leave a little earlier than planned,

Then the grandchildren came and what a grand time that was! We were busy going to their activities as they were growing up and it was so good to watch them as they excelled in lots of things they did. They are grown now and their values echo their parents’ values and when they come, we are not situated geographically where we can watch for their headlights…we just have to be content with their cars pulling up in our driveway…but it seems that no time in life can top this either.

The sad times in our lives besides the passing away of both our parents was our daughter passing away at the age of 32, in 1990. We had a hard time coming to grips with losing her but so many prayers of our Christian brothers and sisters helped tremendously. Now she is in our hearts so much, it hardly seems she’s gone from us at times. We speak of her often and it helps.

Now our son has gone through all these phases in his life…one of them being the ‘empty nest syndrome‘, which is the most distasteful of them all, (except for the death of a child) …but it has to be endured for the next phase to come around.

Then came the phase of his and Kathy's grandchildren...4 of them so far! I’m excited for him and Kathy! I’m excited for us!

Every phase of life has its great moments, its griefs and its missions. We don’t know what the future holds, but we know Who holds the future and we are going to rush into it with faith in God, without fear, and with great anticipation…knowing that it still holds a lot of things that we have never experienced before!

Jeremiah 9:24: “…but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the LORD.”

No comments:

Post a Comment