Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 2, 2013


WHY I WANT TO BE EARLY TO EVERY ASSEMBLY
Understanding the importance of punctuality in our culture...as a Christian, I want to make every effort to be on time to every event in which I am involved and every appointment that I have made, especially the assemblies of the church. Below are some reasons why I want to be, not just “on time”, but early to every assembly.
I want to be early to every assembly because Christ and His church are the most important things in my life. When God’s people meet together, that is where I want to be and I don’t want to miss a minute of the corporate worship or the fellowship with my brethren.
I want to be early to every assembly because  I  want  to  be  an   encouragement  to  my brethren. The very reason we are to assemble is to encourage and build one another up. Consider Hebrews 10:24, 25. If I am habitually absent or late for the assemblies, I fear that would be a discouragement to my brethren.
I want to be early to every assembly because I want to be prepared to lead in the corporate worship. All of my life I have taken an active role in leading the corporate worship of the church. Whether making announcements, leading singing, leading prayer, serving communion or preaching, I want to be early to the assembly to find out what my assignment is and to prepare myself to lead the church in worshiping God.
I want to be early to every assembly because I want to show hospitality to our visitors. Visitors to our assemblies are our guests as surely as if they were visiting in our home. I want to be early to every assembly in order to greet those who visit our assemblies and to show them genuine hospitality. If I am late or even “right on time”, I will miss the opportunity to greet our visitors when they arrive. I will miss the opportunity to make that first good impression and that opportunity will be gone forever.
I want to be early to every assembly because I do not want to be a distraction to others. What we do in our assemblies is very important and requires attention and concentration. There are many things that can be distractions and some distractions are unavoidable, but habitually walking in late to the assembly is one distraction that is avoidable. I make every effort to be early to every assembly so I can avoid being a distraction to others. 
I want to be early to every assembly because I want to set a good example for my children. I have always insisted that my children be on time to work, to school, to ball practice, to ball games, and to all other appointments and events that are important. If they see me insisting on punctuality at work, at school, and at ball games, but not being concerned with punctuality to the assemblies and Bible classes of the church, how can I possibly convince them that Christ and His church are the most important things in my life and should be in theirs?
I want to be early for every assembly out of my  love and respect for Jesus Christ. When I think of the sacrifice that Jesus made for me, both in the life that he lived and the death that he died, I want to honor him in every way. When His saints assemble, I want to be there. I want to be one of the first ones there. I don’t want to miss a minute of the fellowship, the encouragement, the opportunity to encourage others, and the opportunity to worship God and His Son together with my brethren.
These are some of the reasons I want to be early to every assembly. What about you?
Wendell Ingram

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment